Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Rankings and You

I guess this is the time of year when you start seeing the new rankings of colleges come out. Most popular magazines find a way to rank schools based on something, such as: Best School, Best Party School, Best College Buy...etc. Although the magazines try to justify their rankings through whatever methodology they choose to use, for the most part always remember that they are really trying to sell their magazine. Students who are in the process of choosing and deciding on where they should attend college are just another 'target market' that magazines are aiming to generate more sales of their magazine.

Unfortunately, to many students and parents trust the list as gospel and leave off their list some really good schools with really good programs. Personally, I obtained my bachelors and masters degree from a school that consistently ranked on the Best Party School list for years. Did they party? Yes. But so did the students at schools who didn't make the list. Thankfully I did not avoid applying to my college based on the party school ranking or I would have missed the great education that I received from Ohio University, who is also ranked as having some of the best programs in sport management, journalism, and medicine!

I think it is ok to read the rankings, but remember that only you can make the right decision for you. You have to go the school that is the right fit for you. If you can visit the school, talk to the students, and decide for yourself if it truly is or is not the place for you.

No comments: