Thursday, August 03, 2006

Manage Your Time NOW- Part I

Most high school students fail to realize how valuable the time in high school is for their personal, collegiate and even professional development. I do believe that participating in school sponsored extracurricular activities is important, but where a lot of people who make the mistake of only participating in school sponsored extracurricular activities and not getting involved in things outside of school.

High school is a critical time to begin professional preparation. I know, I know, it’s hard to figure out in high school what you plan to do, but if you choose to use your time wisely you can begin to develop professional relationships and develop skills that will benefit you in ways you can’t even imagine for the rest of your professional life.

Even though I know today’s society makes it difficult to consider jobs or opportunities that are for little or no pay, you really do need to find a way to make the time and be in an intern or volunteer in the fields that you are considering. Think of it as an investment in your future, rather than thinking about the money you could be making in another job or where else you would rather be spending your time.

Internships and volunteer work allow you the opportunity to try a job out at a time in your life when most of you really are not financially independent. Which means, you really can spend the time learning rather than making money.

When I was in high school, I thought it would be the coolest thing in the world to work in professional sports. So I began volunteering with the Denver Nuggets basketball team as a ballgirl. This got my foot in the door, and all types of opportunities became available to me because of this, not to mention I was able to witness and experience the excitement of working for a professional sport team.

After I graduated high school I was asked by the Nuggets to come back the next summer and work as a non-paid intern in the season ticket sales office. I was like a sponge, learning from anyone who would spend time with me, and asking for more and more responsibility. By the end of the summer I was on the Nuggets payroll and was asked to come back the next summer as a sales associate!

In retrospect, I can explain to you exactly why I did as well as I did as an intern. My life didn’t depend on the job, I wasn’t having to live off my paycheck, I was truly able to give my future career a test drive before I really had to support myself in the real world.

I wish more students would take the time and do what I did. The lessons you learn about yourself, your possible career, and your life by putting yourself in real life learning situations creates lasting impressions and offers you the clarity that so many are searching for.

In my next post, I will continue this discussion.

Until then,
Chrystal

No comments: